Monday, February 22, 2010

sewn lampshade tutorial


Last year I tried to make a freezer paper stencil on a plain white lampshade I use in my living room. It didn't turn out well but I lived with it for a year- as you do- and today I finally changed it. Much better. And, of course, it was super easy and took less than an hour to make.

What you need:
-lampshade you are covering
-desired fabric (I used canvas)
-chalk pencil
-contrasting thread
-mod podge or spray adhesive

1) Using a chalk pencil, draw a line along the bottom edge of the lampshade, while rolling it along the fabric. I started at the seam in the lampshade and stopped when I got back to the seam. Make sense? Do the same with the top edge of the lampshade.

2) Cut out the shape. I cut the piece about a half inch bigger all around so I could roll the edges over the top and bottom of the lampshade easily.

I used a contrasting thread to stitch my design. If you've never tried free motion sewing, this is a great project to start with because it is small. Put up the feed dog on your machine and "draw" your design in thread.


3) I used Mod Podge to adhere the fabric to the lampshade, though I'm sure there are other things that would be suitable (spray adhesive?). I spread the mod podge all over the lampshade in a thin layer so it wouldn't seep through the fabric then positioned one edge of the fabric on the glue and began to press it in place.


4) After I got the fabric pressed all over the lampshade, I had to trim some extra fabric away to make it look pretty and finished. I then brushed more mod podge along the bottom and top edges and rolled the fabric around the edge and pressed. It stuck pretty fast and easy.


Voila!

4 comments:

  1. So stinkin adorable! I may have to try this, even though my free motion skills are seriously lacking. Great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really cute, love the stitching design! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh so great! I have wanted to do this for the last 11 years since I bought a terribly expensive but beuatiufl lamp from out at a indigenous art shop in the desert - so love it must remember what you said!

    ReplyDelete