Friday, July 24, 2009

camping


Every time we go camping, which really just seems to be for this annual trip to Cape Cod, I remember what a perfect vacation it is for my family. So, maybe it's true that I can be a bit of a nag when it comes to jobs around the house. And, maybe it's even true that I find all the work to do around the house more than a little distracting, even when I have every intention to hang out and play with the kids, and swear in my mind that nothing is more important at that moment. Yeah. Well, then there is camping. A vacation for the slob at heart, in my book (though the folks camping next to us had a perfect campsite with a container of Clorox wipes on the picnic table and really lovely votive candles scattered about here and there. The wipes spoke volumes about how different their home looks from mine, but I digress). A vacation for really hanging out with each other in rain or shine, and lucky for us, we had both. We camp right on a kettle pond that no one else seems to ever go to. We eat tons of seafood. We ride bikes. The kids draw and draw and we all swim and swim. So now, the pictures. I must. I can't help it. So, if you don't know me or care to see my vacation pictures, thanks for reading this much. I will keep it to the highlights. Swear.

I LOVE the Beach...

Our guess was whale intestines.

Some of us raced the waves more successfully than others, but the rain levelled the playing field.

So, every year we camp with our dear friends and if there is one thing our families are good at doing together, it is eating. Now, remember, I didn't say backpacking. This is car camping!

Oh the things you can cook over an open fire if you have a roll of foil! Striped Sea Bass with garlic, lemon, and butter. Heaven. Especially since I am not a lover of...

I know, I know. I really want to love it though.


Packet perfection. Summer squash with garlic and herbs.

And the last day, which was spent playing Bananagrams, swimming, and loafing around, we made these in the pie irons:

That brown stuff on the side is the chocolate oozing out.

And, although I have no pictures of our traditional camp dinner, I must insist all you campers try it out- Raclette with boiled potatoes. We heat the raclette on a stick over the fire and scrape the melted parts onto salted boiled potatoes. A glass of red wine and some cornichon and you are in heaven (while the children gag over the smell and eat their hot dogs). Aah! I love vacation.



5 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh this is so LUSTY. Really... And now I know you are away, though we did do a driveby and said hi to Ollie (y) behind the screen door... See you soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. your traditional camp dinner sounds dreamy. in fact, i kind of want to eat some right now for lunch. it looks like you all had a wonderful trip, and i can't wait to hear more.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi. I have a blog at www.picturecamping.com where I feature people's posts about camping, and I would like to send my readers your way. Of course I would give you credit for quotes and would link back to your site.

    Thanks for considering this,

    Jean B. in SC

    ReplyDelete